Walter Stant was born in Iscoyd and baptised on 16 October 1842 in Malpas, he was the son of Thomas Stant and Mary Bennion. Thomas was from Hanmer and Mary from Shropshire.
In 1851 when he was 8 years old the family were in Abbot Street where Thomas was a publican, he had 9 siblings. The name of the pub isn’t known.
Thomas moved to 9 Charles Street and opened a grocer’s shop, but he died aged 55 in 1866.
He was buried in Ruthin Road Cemetery, other members of the family are also there.
Walter had started a business with his brother John, but they decided to go their separate ways. In February 1866 the partnership of “John and Walter Stant,” No. 5. Town Hill, Wrexham, as Grocers, Tea and Provision Dealers, was dissolved and John carried on running the business himself.
Walter was living with his sisters Eliza and Emily, they are all provision dealers at 37 Beast Market, this was in 1871.
Later that year Walter married Jane Davies in St John’s, Chester, they moved to Fairfield Street and had 9 known children.
He died on 17 May 1892; they were still living in Fairfield Street and had been there for quite a long time.
One of his daughters Eliza Annie had moved to Pendleton where she died in December 1898, she was brought back home and buried with her father. Jane moved to the Stretford area by 1901 with two of her sons, she remained there till her death in February 1931 aged 85. Jane was also buried with Walter and Eliza Annie.
Researched by Annette Edwards. December 2018. Gravestone photograph by Graham Lloyd.
Grave ref: Wrexham Cemetery M-03472