by Annette Edwards.
Thomas George was born 4 September 1860 at Sandon Street, Liverpool. He was the son of John Williams and Eleanor; whose maiden name was also Williams. Both parents were born in North Wales. They were part of the “Liverpool Welsh” who had left Wales to go in search of building work, and in Toxteth there are many Welsh street names including Kinmel Street, Rhiwlas Street and Madryn Street which were built by Welsh workers.
When he was 1 year old the family is living on Bentley Street in Toxteth, John is a master builder employing 5 men and 16 boys, and there are 6 children at home.
They moved to “Moss Bank” on Croxteth Road, and ten years later John is now a builder and brickmaker, he certainly has quite a big business going as he employs – 10 joiners, 5 brickmakers, 30 labourers, 6 carpenters, 3 clerks and 2 managers. He also has 2 sea captains and 58 seamen on the list so it looks like he may also be a ship owner. By this time Thomas George is an architect and surveyor.
The family moved back to Bentley Road, John was now just a builder and quarry proprietor, so it looks like he has given up with the shipping business. They remained there for many years and by 1901 John having been blind for 3 years and Eleanor has died, Thomas George is still at home.
By 1911 both parents have died, and Thomas George is 50 and still single, he is with his elder sister Mary and her husband Griffith Ellis. Griffith is a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Minister.
Thomas George designed many Welsh Chapels, the earliest reference found is to Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1882, a chapel of the “English cause” it is not named but described as Gothic style with an integral tower, it was demolished by 2003.
Tabernacle Methodist Chapel, on Well Street, Ruthin was built in 1891. It is now Grade 2 listed for its original, quirky design. (CADW)
Llandudno Presbyterian Chapel dated 1891, was built in the Gothic style with an integral tower and spire. (CADW)
Later in 1904 he designed Rehoboth Methodist Chapel on Whitford Street, Holywell, it was a completely different design of the Romanesque style.
All these buildings are still sanding.
Thomas George Williams died on 16 February 1927 at Bryn Mair, Penyfordd. He was a wealthy man and left effects of £14317 15s 11d. Probate was to Robert Hughes – Jones a retired shipowner.
IN LOVING MEMORY OF THOMAS GEORGE WILLIAMS. M.S.A. SON OF JOHN AND ELEANOR WILLIAMS MOSS BANK LIVERPOOL. BORN SEPTEMBER 4th, 1860. DIED FEBRUARY 16th, 1927.Transcript of headstone.
Researched by Annette Edwards. August 2018.
Grave ref: Wrexham Cemetery O-05012